Relationships can be difficult. Maintaining a healthy, happy relationship requires you to make daily choices that leave your ego behind and to act in the best interest of your relationship. When you see the words, “happy couples” what comes to mind? You probably think of some friends of yours or a couple you’re acquainted with – and they always seem to be happy. What’s their secret? How do they do it?
According to relationship experts, there are indeed qualities that happy couples tend to share. Let’s look at some of the secrets of happy couples below. Keep in mind that there’s no magic formula and couples must go about it in their own way. However, Consider each as it applies to your relationship and commit to trying to incorporate some of them.
1. Respect and Kindness – Once the chase is over and we’ve gotten the prize, we often just forget about our partner’s feelings and needs. In lasting relationships, both partners value each other and take care with their words, actions and behaviors. They can both calm themselves effectively during conflict. When there is an issue, respectful communication means you talk about it without bringing up the past and pointing fingers. Happy couples try to learn their partner’s perspective without being so defensive so they can hear the other’s point of view. You can also share your thoughts without dismissing theirs. Ask how you can come to an agreement. You don’t always have to agree, but you should always be respectful and kind.
2. Thoughtfulness and Consideration- Do all the things for your partner that you would do for your best friend. Try to anticipate their needs and find ways to uplift them. Think about what they need help with and try to be there for them. Thoughtfulness, consideration and kindness is the recipe for lasting relationships. Try to also learn what their love language is. Is it a loving word, a thoughtful gesture, help around the house, or doing something special for them? The better you know what your partner enjoys, the more thoughtful you can be.
3. A sense of humor – couples who laugh together, stay together. Laughter lightens things up when there are hardships in your relationship. Learn to have the capacity to laugh at yourself. Laughing at ourselves instead of judging makes the journey entertaining instead of a constant battle.
4. Affection and Intimacy – After some time in relationships, we often forget to show affection toward our partners. We love our significant other but can sometimes get caught up in our everyday lives that we forget to show them we love them. Happy couples tend to make sure to show affection by simple touching, holding each other or kissing for no reason at all. Sexual and emotional intimacy are crucial in a happy relationship. Intimacy creates the feeling of belonging and being loved. Check out SpicyBox’s passion tips!
5. Trust and Honesty – Honesty and trust become the foundation for everything in a successful relationship. Happy couples take the time to build trust and work at keeping it. It can take a long time to build trust but only a second to break it. Trust is bigger than sexual fidelity, you’re trusting your partner with your fears, vulnerabilities, painful wounds and you’re trusting them to never use them against you. It’s important to be open with your feelings and weaknesses. Learn trust at the emotional, physical and spiritual level. This also means being honest, don’t hide behind lies and deception if you want your relationship to last. Honesty encourages trust and belief in each other.
6. Time – Relationships don’t work without time investment. Never have, never will. Any successful relationship requires intentional, quality time together. The relationship with your partner should be the most intimate and deep relationship you have. Therefore, it is going to require more time than any other relationship. SpicyBox can help make sure you make the best out of your time together. Order your first box today!
7. Empathy and Validation – Empathy means trying to understand what your partner is feeling. It isn’t about trying to fix your partner’s concerns and problems, necessarily, but about being able to be there for them. If you can pay more attention to what’s going on with your partner you will find yourself getting closer over time rather than more distant. Validating your loved one shows them that you’re on their side. When you understand and accept what they say, they feel fully seen and heard. When you validate, you accept. And when you accept, you show unconditional love, which is ultimately what keeps people and relationships together in the long run.
8. Curiosity – Happy couples show interest in each other’s worlds by asking questions. They support each other’s growth and learning of new things. You and your partner will both change over time and being curious together can result in tremendous learning experiences that will strengthen your relationship.